Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Appetizer Meatballs

Posted by Lori:

Our family has been in Oklahoma City for a livestock show during the past few days. Other families from here were also at the event.

Our 4-H/FFA group set up a mini-kitchen in one of the stalls during the goat part of the livestock show. A friend made these appetizer meatballs to go along with other snack foods during the first day. They were a big hit!

Appetizer Meatballs
1 32 ounce jar grape jelly
1 12 ounce bottle chili sauce
1 bag (3 to 5 pounds) frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs

Place in a crock pot and heat on high for 2 - 3 hours. Stir and serve.

Homemade meatballs would be great, as well. I would recommend Kimberly's recipe for Rachael Ray's "Stick to Your Ribs Meatballs". They could also be heated in a skillet on the stove top.
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Jess said...

I used to be the one doing the cooking for the Expo. This is my second year not doing it. As much work as it was, I certainly do miss it! My specialty was doing a BIG breakfast. I would have french toast, biscuits and gravy, breakfast tortillas. One year I even did pancakes. Was I nuts or what? lol

Hope your kids do well with their goat project.

Lori said...

Well, you are welcome to be the Tipton "cook" next year! We'd love to have you :). Yes, it is a BIG job and I'm sure you needed a break. This year I was too busy to organize much, but another mom and I met the night before we left and decided a few things and just packed the whole pantry, practically!

The breakfast would be so neat and I've always thought about doing it, but never have. I usually stay with our youngest at the hotel a little longer so he (and I) can sleep a little more.

I always think it would be fun to be at OYE the whole time, but by the end of our 4 days, I'm ready to be home.

Well, we didn't do too good this year, but sold (individual, not the show sale) one doe goat, which was good. I forgot about the one pig we showed. It didn't do good, but one of our sons enjoys pigs more than goat, so he was happy!

How about your kids? What do you all show?

Thanks for your comments and hope you have a good time at OYE, too! Lori

Jess said...

They showed hamps and crossbreeds at first, then started showing Simmental heifers and steers. Did well at local and jackpot shows. Even at the state level within their class, but never much beyond that. It is very competitive as you know for any breed of animal. I wish it could be less commercialized so that the kids really could just have a good animal and compete, not a 30K animal!

Have a great week!

Lori said...

I know what you mean. It's ridiculous the amount of $ some will spend. Have a great weekend! You may get lots of snow at OKC!

 
Pin It button on image hover