Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mexicali Crock Pot Chicken

Posted by Lori:
Now that baseball games and softball games are in full swing, I'm thinking that the crock pot will become my new best friend once again. (Well, not really, but you know what I mean.) The crock pot is perfect for meals on busy days, which are common in almost everyone's household.

MEXICALI CROCK POT CHICKEN
1 - 3 pound bag frozen chicken breasts, thawed (or fresh chicken)
1 can Rotel (I use the Mexican variety, but mild or regular would work fine)
(*Note:  Rotel is a brand name that is a mixture of diced tomatoes and green chilis.  I know Walmart has their brand with a mixture of the same.  Other brands may, too.)
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 garlic cloves, minced (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place chicken in bottom of crock pot. (I trim the fat off first.)  Cover with remaining ingredients.  Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.  Shred chicken with two forks and mix well. Serve as desired.

Dumping Placing ingredients into a crock pot is fun (I'm easily entertained!)and easy...and it's even better when you come home to a delicious smelling home-cooked meal that's totally ready to eat when you walk in the door. This chicken can be served in warmed corn or flour tortillas (along with cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, avocado) or could be used in enchiladas or quesadillas. I think it would make a great taco salad served over chips, lettuce, and tomato.
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Shonda said...

What's Rotel? This looks so good.

Lori said...

Shonda - Rotel is a mixture of diced tomatoes and green chilis. I guess it is the actual brand name, now that I looked it up:http://www.ro-tel.com/index.jsp
Anyway, I know Walmart sells its brand that is tomatoes and green chilis together. If you can't find it that way, I would think just separate cans of each would work just fine.

Thanks for asking! I shouldn't have assumed everyone would know and will put that by the side of the recipe.

Shonda said...

Thanks, Lori!

 
Pin It button on image hover