Thursday, March 11, 2010

Salmon Patties

Posted by Donna:
I love salmon patties; but, I don't get to fix them very often because my husband isn't too fond of them. Occasionally, he'll have to be gone over night; so, that's when I make them. I grew up eating them all the time. My mother always served mashed potatoes, English peas, and salad along with them. As you've probably figured out, that's what I serve with mine as well. I also have to have ketchup to pour over them.

1 can salmon, drained

2 T. white or yellow onion, finely chopped

1 egg

enough cracker crumbs to thicken

Mix the ingredients together. Form into patties and roll each patty in yellow cornmeal and fry until brown.

My sister-in-law puts chopped dill pickles in hers. That didn't sound very good to me, but to my surprise, I tried it and actually liked it. I don't always do that---just occasionally.

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Frances said...

I LOVE salmon patties. My mom used to make them. The recipe sounded the same, except she didn't roll them in cornmeal.

I have never made them. I think I need to. YUM!

Renee Boyd said...

Anytime you want to fix them, I will be over! Ha ha. I just requested these last week and dad made them on Sunday for lunch. Looks like the same recipe but he doesn't roll them in cornmeal. Its funny how the things you remember being served with them is what you also serve. I call Salmoln Patties the "Grandma Pauline" meal. Dad can make them just like she did, and we top them with white gravy and have a side of cream style corn and green beans with it. He also mastered her pea salad, another favorite of mine.

Donna said...

I loved reading your comments. I, too, love cream style corn with my patties. You'll have to let me know how your dad does his pea salad. I'm always looking for ways to improve my cooking.
Renee, I'm so glad to know some of the "younger generation" approves of these old, old favorites!!!!!
They are hard to beat. Our mothers and grandmothers certainly knew how to put a good meal on the table. By the way, I'll try hiding my salmon patty under the gravy next time. Larry, I'm sure, will eat them that way. Thanks for the idea.

 
Pin It button on image hover