Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Potato Skins

Posted by Lori:
On the night before Thanksgiving my husband's family has a big get-together. It begins at the church building for the regular monthly singing night and ends at my in-laws house with food and games. Lots of food! Lots of games! And, lots of people - around 35-40!

Family members bring all kinds of foods, each have those they are "expected" to bring. Each year I cook a lot of appetizers for that evening.....oh, and sugar cookies (100 of them!). Now that my kids are older, they are big helpers and even have their "designated" appetizers they make each year to help me out. Our oldest, Lauren, has become the "Potato Skin" maker for this particular night. I make them for other things throughout the year...and especially from Thanksgiving through Christmas and on to New Year's.

These Potato Skins are something I began making many years ago. I had heard of them, but never eaten them, so I didn't realize they are usually fried. I just bake these and we think they're great!

Potato Skins


3 pounds of potatoes (I like the small ones...these were red, but regular are good, too)
1/2 stick melted butter
8 - 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
2 - 3 cups shredded cheddar (or colby-jack) cheese
Sour cream, if desired
Salt
Pepper

Wash potatoes and place in foil lined 9 x 13 baking dish. Drizzle melted butter over the top.  Sprinkle with salt and cover with lid or foil.  Bake for 2 hours at 400 degrees.  (NOTE:  We think our oven is kind of slow...it's old!....so you might not need that long.)



Remove from oven and let set, covered, for 30 -45 minutes to cool down.  Slice in half lengthwise.


Carefully scoop out centers using small spoon, being careful not to go all the way through the skins.  I save the scooped out potato and make  potato casserole or potato soup.  Fill skins now or cover and refrigerate to fill when needed.

Sprinkle skins with salt and pepper.  Fill skins with shredded cheese and top with bacon bits.  Some people might prefer the cheese only so I usually leave some without if I'm taking it to a group event.  Now you can bake them or cover and refrigerate them until you need them.  Bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 350 degrees.


Serve with sour cream to dollop on top, if desired!

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

kimcox said...

Oh I can't wait to try those! My daughters are always wanting the frozen ones and these look so easy. Thanks for the recipe.

 
Pin It button on image hover