Friday, October 9, 2009

Chicken Lasagna

Posted & Created by Lori:Years ago I found a recipe for chicken lasagna. I thought it sounded good, but didn't care for a lot of the ingredients it used. So, at that time, I began to create my own version of the dish. After a few years, I got it exactly how it seemed like it should be. Whenever I make this for any large group, it's always a favorite and have people ask for the recipe.

Chicken Lasagna
(This recipe is a 3cherrycokes' original recipe!)
2 1/2 pounds chicken
1 (26 ounce) family sized cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 - 6 ounce package (not jar, unless 100% real and fresh) grated Parmesean cheese
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2-3 cups Colby/Jack Cheese, grated
9 noodles, uncooked (regular or whole wheat)

Place chicken (I use frozen chicken, but of course fresh is fine.) in large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil with medium high heat. Cook chicken in boiling water for about 20 minutes or until no longer pink (I did hear a tip today about cooking chicken in broth instead of water, which would give it even more flavor. I'll be trying that soon!) Drain water off of chicken.

At this point I remove the small amount of fat from the chicken. Shred or chop chicken into small pieces and return to large pot. Add soup, can of broth, Parmesean cheese, garlic powder, and evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat until cheese melts. Stir frequently.

In 9 x 13 casserole dish, lay down 3 lasagna noodles. Sometimes I will break off noodles and place at the ends if there is too much space (depends on which casserole dish I use whether this is needed or not). With ladle or measuring cup, pour 1/3 of chicken and soup mixture over noodles. Top with 1 cup or a little less of Colby/Jack cheese. Place another layer of noodles over the mixture (also adding extra broken noodle pieces of needed). Add another 1/3 of chicken soup mixture, another layer of cheese. Repeat all three layers for one last time.

At this point you may bake the lasagna for 1 - 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees or refrigerate it or freeze it to bake later on. If the lasagna seems to brown too quickly, cover it will foil and allow it to cook longer.

I serve this and the Beef Lasagna for several different functions throughout the school year. It serves a lot, it's very easy to make in advance and freeze, and most people seem to like it.

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I can vouch for this one! It's delish!

 
Pin It button on image hover