Thursday, October 8, 2009

Old-Fashioned Cornbread

Posted by Donna:
This recipe belonged to my Grandmother Nell. It's simple, quick, but oh, so good.

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1 T. oil
1 egg
2 T. sugar (optional) I like my cornbread without the sugar, but most of my family likes it with the sugar added. Grandmother's recipe did not include the sugar.

Before mixing the ingredients, pour 2 T. oil in the skillet and put it in a 450 degree oven. Let this get hot while you hand mix the cornbread ingredients. Take the skillet out and pour the batter into the hot oil and bake for about 20 minutes.

It is simple, as I said, but what a treat with a huge dollop of butter to go along with it--- or red beans, or stew, or black-eyed peas. Come to think of it, it's a treat with just about anything.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Just curious...do you use real buttermilk or just sour regular milk with a little vinegar?

Donna said...

I use real buttermilk.

 
Pin It button on image hover