Friday, October 30, 2009

Chicken Loaf with Giblet Gravy

Posted by Lori:Note: My sister, Kimberly, won't brag about the Pecan Pie Bars she posted a few days ago, but I will for her :). Her son, Blake, won 1st place out of all of the 3rd grade in his school with the bars, and he also won Grand Champion for the whole school. Way to go, Blake!
A few weeks ago I happened to think of this recipe of my mother-in-law's. It's something I had never heard of before I started dating my husband, but his mom made it quite often. I thought about it because it's something I had never seen before, and never have seen since, either. I thought about getting it from her some time to share with you.

Ironically, yesterday my mother-in-law emailed me this recipe - out of the blue! It was funny since I had just thought about it recently. She said her youngest son was wanting the recipe, and knowing about this blog, she decided to send it to me, too.

CHICKEN LOAF
1 Hen or 2 Fryers (Around 3-4 pounds)
2 cups bread crumbs
1 cup cooked rice
1/3 teaspoons paprika
1/4 cup pimento
4 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups broth
Salt to taste

Stew chicken & remove from bone. Cut into bite sized pieces.
Mix all together and bake in 10x14 pan at 350 degrees.
Serve with giblet gravy.

GIBLET GRAVY
For the giblet gravy my mother-in-law boils the giblet, heart. liver, & gizzard and some salt, then I use some of that chopped in small pieces, use some of the broth from that and some from chicken and thicken with flour and water, salt to taste. I also had a chopped boiled egg.

Have you ever heard of Chicken Loaf? I have to admit that when I first heard about "Chicken Loaf", I thought it sounded strange, but it was really good!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover