Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Caramel Brownies

Posted by Kimberly:

A couple of years after my husband and I moved to Lubbock, I went to Bunco at a friend's house from church. For dessert she served brownies. Let me just say that these were the best brownies I had ever eaten! Why, you might ask? Because they had caramel in the middle!!! Need I say more???


Caramel Brownies:


2/3 cup butter, melted
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup pecans, optional
14 oz. caramels (Do not use all of the caramels. Take out 10.)
1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 pkg. German chocolate cake mix


Mix cake mix, soft butter, and 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Spread half of dough in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cook for 6 minutes. Melt caramels in 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Pour over brownies. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and chopped nuts over caramel. Spread the rest of the dough over the top and cook 18 minutes. Do not overcook. (My recipe doesn't have an oven temperature, so I am guessing 350ish.)


This dough is real thick and has to be patted into the pan and on the top of pecans and chocolate chips.


This is one brownie - actually probably the only brownie - that ISN'T better served warm. Just a funny story to explain why..... Several years ago when I was still teaching, I raved about these brownies at school to the point that one teacher wanted to try them. So, I made some for her and her family and took them over to them as soon as they came out of the oven. The next day at school, I asked her what she thought. I could tell that she wasn't that impressed with them. I just couldn't imagine why! Well, the following day, she stopped me and said, "Those brownies were amazing!" What made the difference? The first day, she ate them while they were still warm and the caramel blended in with the chocolate. However, the second day, they were cool and that is when the caramel really stands out. Who knew???!!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover