Monday, January 18, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

Posted by Lori:
Even though I have done Weight Watchers in the past, I haven't done it faithfully in several years. I asked my friend, Renee' (who is a great cook, by the way!) to send me some of her recent Weight Watcher's or low-fat recipes. I know many of you will enjoy them and this one sounds good enough those who aren't trying to eat low fat, too. This recipe came from a Weight Watcher's book, but Renee' changed it just a little bit.

Shepherd's Pie - serves 4
4 teaspoon canola oil
12 ounces (which equals 3/4 pound) 93% lean ground beef (I used 97% fat free ground turkey)
1 cup onions (If your husband eats onions! Mine doesn't.)
4 cups frozen mixed veggies (I only used 3 cups)
2 cups Italian-style tomatoes (I used 2 whole cans)
4 potatoes
3/4 cup skim milk
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Brown meat, breaking up into small chunks. Add onion, veggies and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes or a little longer. Turn mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. Cook potatoes in microwave (they are bigger and fluffier if you do this) then peel them and smash with milk. Cover meat mixture with mashed potatoes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbling. 12oz serving = 7 Weight Watcher points

Renee' mentioned that her husband doesn't like onions. I cook with them some, but more often I use onion powder - especially when browning hamburger meat. My kids and I really like the smell of the onion/beef mixture as it cooks together. So, that's a thought!

Thanks, Renee'!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover