Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Basketball Cake

Posted by Lori:
This is more of an idea than a recipe, but I thought since it's basketball season, some might be interested in this decorated cake. The recipe for the icing is listed below.  I've made this cake four times so far, but this was the first time I made the basketball pink! This cake was used for a fundraiser during the final afternoon and night of a basketball tournament.  It was given away at the end of a silent auction.

(To read more about the PINK ribbon awareness event click here.)

The bottom of the cake is 2 layers of a 12 x 12 x 2 inch Wilton pan.  Each layer was baked using 7 1/2 cups of white cake batter.  The ball is the Wilton Sports Ball pan.  Each half holds 2 and 1/4 cups of batter - so a total of 4 and 1/2 cups.  I used three white cake mixes - the whole egg recipe - and I prefer using Pillsbury brand.  I had about 1/2 cup of batter left over (and no, I didn't eat it!).

Every Easter I look for a basketball net looking basket to use for this cake to replace the one that was given away the year before.  This basket came from Target and it's been the cutest basket so far!  I found it after Easter on sale, but unfortunately, there was only one of them left.

Buttercream icing is a great decorator icing, and even though butter gives a slightly off-white appearance, it's hardly noticable.  In my opinion, the taste is worth the small amount of tint it gives....SO, I almost always use half butter and half shortening in my decorator icing.  I use a lot of vanilla, too!  You may prefer less.  I do use the clear if I need white icing, but otherwise the regular kind.

Buttercream Icing:
2 cups butter, softened
2 cups shortening
4 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla, clear or regular
Icing colors, if desired (I use Wilton gel colors)

In large bowl, mix butter and shortening together until well blended.   Add powdered sugar a few cups at a time, mixing well in between additions.  Add milk and vanilla and mix well.  If other colors are needed, divide into seperate bowls and add desired colors.  I had about a cup of icing left over after making the cake.

This is a very heavy cake.  It is setting on a 14 x 14 inch square, 3/4 inch thick board which was covered with parchment paper.  The basketball is on a small Corelle plate (which I gave away, too!).  Four dowel sticks were cut and placed into the bottom layers.  The basket rested on top of the dowel sticks.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job!

Erika

Wa Wa Waughs said...

that is adorable!

 
Pin It button on image hover