Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chunky Chicken Chili

Posted by Lori:
A few days ago I cooked a big pot of pinto beans.  I was going to serve them again tonight, but thought it would be fun to try a new recipe using pinto beans.  I searched for "recipes using pinto beans" and came up with several different things, but the one thing I kept noticing was recipes for chicken chili.  That was kind of interesting because the other day my sister-in-law mentioned making a chicken chili last week. Her whole family liked it.  So, I began looking at all kinds of recipes and put this one together using bits and pieces from several different ones.

The chili turned out great!  It will be a new standard recipe for us.  My husband said he would call it a stew or soup, but I'm keeping it a chili because it just sounds neater with the triple "C" name up there in the title!

Chunky Chicken Chili

6 cups cooked pinto beans (mine were pre-seasoned with pork, onion powder, pinto bean seasoning, and a little bit of Splenda)
1 can chicken broth
2 - 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup salsa
1 can corn (undrained)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin

Place all ingredients in large stock pot or crock pot.  Heat thoroughly. If desired, serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.

This morning after I cooked the chicken, I began to shred it using two forks.  The following thought came to mind:  Why when you use two forks and do this to chicken it's called "shredded chicken", but when you use two forks like this with pork it's called "pulled pork"?  I think it's just because it sounds better....just like the "triple C" name. What do you think????
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I love chicken chili with the white beans and green chilies...but I'll have to try your version sometime! How much chicken do you add? 2-3 breasts?

Lori said...

Thanks for asking about the chicken! I put everything else together while cooking the chicken, then forgot to write it down. Yes, my 2 were very large, so 2 - 3, depending on the size.

 
Pin It button on image hover