Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Pie

Posted by Kimberly:

Several years ago, my husband and I were eating at Orlando's, which is an Italian restaurant here in Lubbock. We decided to order dessert and chose Kentucky pie. Neither one of us had ever heard of it before but its description sounded really good. Well, let me just say, that it didn't disappoint! It was like eating warm chocolate chip cookie dough in a pie crust.

A couple of years ago, I was excited to find that a restaurant chain that opened here called McAlister's Deli offered it as a dessert, too. Unfortunately, they have since taken it off their menu. I searched off and on trying to find a recipe for it, so I could enjoy it at home and make it for my family. Most "Kentucky Pie" recipes that I found were not like what I had eaten. In fact, my sister had tried one and, while it was good, the filling was chocolate instead of being like cookie dough.

Finally, about a year and a half ago I came across a recipe in a Paula Deen cookbook for "Chocolate Chip Pie". I gave it a try, and sure enough, I had found my Kentucky pie!

Chocolate Chip Pie

2 eggs

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 stick butter, melted

one 6-ounce pkg. semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I don't add a full cup.)

one 9-inch UNBAKED pie shell
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add flour and brown sugar. Beat until well blended. Blend in granulated sugar and butter. Stir in chocolate chops and nuts. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 1 hour. Cover with whipped topping, if desired.

My husband and I think that we can taste a small amount of coconut in the pie that we have eaten at Orlando's. I have never added any to this recipe, mainly because I never think of it until after I've made it. He also requests that I double the filling, so I have to bake it in a deep pie dish. I did this for Christmas and had to bake it at least 1 1/2 hours, if not 2. I also had to turn the oven down to 300 degrees and loosely cover the top with foil so it wouldn't burn. Really, a recipe and a half would be plenty for the filling if you choose to make it thicker.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover