Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chili Corn Bread Salad

Posted by Donna:


Here's a recipe I haven't fixed for a while. I know I've never prepared it for my family, but I've taken it to potlucks at church. It's seems like we--or I should say "I"---make a lot of the different recipes only for special occasions. I hope I'm not the only one that does this!!!!


1 pkg. ( 8 1/2 oz.) corn bread/muffin mix

1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, undrained

1/8 tsp. ground cumin

1/8 tsp. dried oregano

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup ( 8z.) sour cream

1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix

2 cans (15 oz. ) pinto beans, rinsed and drained

2 cans (15 1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

3 medium tomatoes, chopped

1 cup chopped green pepper

1 cup chopped green onions

10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese


Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Stir in the chilies, cumin, and oregano. Spread in a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dressing mix. Set aside. Crumble half of the corn bread into a 13 inch x 9 inch dish. Layer with half of the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers. The dish will be very full. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.




I think this recipe came out of an old Taste of Home magazine---not sure. Regardless, it is a good salad. I've fixed another version of it---but it was called Southwest Cornbread Salad. It's also on this blog. There are just a few differences in the recipes.








Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover