Friday, August 7, 2009

Fresh Broccoli Salad

Posted by Donna:
I acquired this salad recipe from my brother and sister-in-law. It appeared in our first "Nell Family Cookbook" about twenty years ago that was put together and sold at our family reunion. It's really simple; but, for broccoli lovers, it does hit the spot. Women always ask for the recipe when I take it to our potlucks at church.

I'm going to list approximate amounts because it has to be adjusted for the amount of people you are serving.

Fresh Broccoli Salad

4 stalks of cut up broccoli
2 - 3 dozen cherry tomatoes, cut in half
15 - 20 black olives, cut in half ( I love black olives, so I go heavy on these.)
1/2 purple onion, chopped
Pour a whole bottle of Italian dressing over the vegetables. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Toss right before serving.

Just for a variation, I have fried several strips of bacon and crumbled it into the salad.

You may want to go heavier on some of the veggies just because of personal taste. I love the cherry tomatoes and black olives; so, I add more of those. I love purple onions, but they don't like me. You may want to add more of those if you prefer. My brother and sister-in-law add fresh mushrooms to theirs. It's a very versatile salad. Let me know your special version. I'm sure I would love it!!!!!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover