Saturday, August 15, 2009

Breakfast Muffin Cups

Posted by Lori
This is one of my four children's favorite breakfasts. I created it several years ago to serve to my own family, but also they are great for showers and brunches. A few days ago I used it for the annual "Back to School Breakfast" for the teachers and staff of our local school. The mixture, which I call "Breakfast Bonanza Sausage Mix", can be used for the muffin cups or for breakfast burritos.

BREAKFAST MUFFIN CUPS
Make "Breakfast Bonanza Sausage Mix" as follows:
1/2 pound sausage
3 eggs
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Also For Breakfast Muffin Cups:
1 can of biscuits

Items needed: 1 - 12 count regular sized muffin tin or 2 - 12 count mini muffin tins

In skillet, cook sausage until no pink remains. Place sausage in bowl which has been layered with paper towels to drain grease. Wipe grease from skillet. Break eggs into skillet and whisk them with a fork to break yolks. Add milk. Scramble eggs on medium heat, stirring frequently. When done, add in sausage and cheese. Mix until well blended.

Grease muffin pans. For regular sized muffins, use one biscuit per muffin cup. For mini muffins, tear biscuits in half. Flatten the whole biscuit and place in muffin cup. Fill with sausage mixture. For mini muffins, roll 1/2 biscuit dough into a ball, then flatten and place in mini muffin cup. Fill with sausage mixture. Bake 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes. (Note: Muffins can be refrigerated or frozen and baked later. Of course, cooking time will vary if beginning with the ingredients cold.)

The above picture is showing a mini muffin pan. I recently purchased this neat little gadget (I have no idea what it's called and can't find it on their site right now to tell you!) from Pampered Chef. It's so handy to use and it is a definite time saver. You just place the balls of biscuit dough in the mini muffin pan and push the gadget down and it does the work for you by forcing the dough to make the muffin shape.
This is another useful tool - a one inch scoop. I'm not sure where I got this one, but it is handy for scooping this mixture as well as cookie dough.
This larger two inch scoop did come from Pampered Chef. These scoops make it super easy to fill the muffin cups and are handy for other things, as well. I like little gadgets like this that aren't expensive, but save lots of time.

To make "Breakfast Burritos", use the "Breakfast Bonanza Sausage Mix" and fill 4 heated flour tortillas with the mixture. I like to double (or triple or quadruple!!) this mix and make lots of different things to freeze and use later. The burritos can be eaten immediately or they can be wrapped up in foil and heated in the oven the next morning. They may also be frozen (also wrapped in foil) in a large Ziplock bag. Heat them from a frozen state or allow to thaw in the fridge over night.


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I've been making your recipes and loving them! My children keep asking where I got them...so, thank you! Now I have a new breakfast recipe! Have a fun week.

Eco builders said...

I stumbled upon your blog and i was enjoying reading it. I've read some of your recipe and i wish to try it. Thank you for sharing!

Lori said...

Thanks to both of you! We are glad you are enjoying the recipes. From the "3 Cherry Cokes"

 
Pin It button on image hover