Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tree Swings and Other Comforts


Posted by Donna:

Before our ice storm in 2010, I had a tire swing hanging from one of our pecan trees. When I was a child growing up, we had one just like it. I spent a lot of time in that swing as a child. Needless to say, the ice storm played "havoc" on that tree, and we had to have it cut down, along with three others. I missed that swing so much because it reminded me of childhood. For Mother's Day, I asked Larry to make me a swing for one of my remaining two trees. He asked why I needed a swing, and I told him for decorative purposes!!!! I just love that swing. There's something about a swing---a down-home feeling.

Last week a very special friend of ours came to our house because she was locked out of her house for a while. She and I sat out on the front porch--she in one of the rocking chairs and I in my porch swing(I told you I like swings). We enjoyed homemade ice cream and a great visit. She told me she's ready to come back and swing and rock on my front porch. I don't know what it is about sitting on the front porch and visiting. A front porch brings about the best conversations and feelings!!!! With this hot, hot weather this year, I've really missed my porch time. I can't wait for the cooler weather just for that reason--and of course, other reasons, but this is top on my list. I love to read out there, think out there, and enjoy the surroundings.

Now back to the swing---my next door neighbor wanted to know where I got my swing; so, I told her that Larry made it. She wanted him to make her one, as well as her daughter and daughter-in-law. Larry got busy that day and had all three ready in a couple of days. He's now working on Kimberly's and Lori's--plus he has an extra one made. I think he's done a great job on them.

Isn't it funny how something as simple as a tree swing, a porch swing, or rocking chair can make us so completely happy?






Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Loved hearing this story! It reminds me of simpler times.

Donna said...

Thanks, Robin. I think we all wish for the simpler life.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. I want a swing. I still love laying all the way back on a swing. Sigh. I remember crying when my dad to down our swing growing up. I am the youngest and he took it down when I was still in grade school.

Erika

 
Pin It button on image hover