Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Slow Cooker Lasagna

Posted by Donna:


I've looked at this Betty Crocker recipe for a long time and finally decided to make it this week. I'm not a huge lasagna fan, but Larry is. I like it; it's just not something I make very often since I can't handle beef very well. Like all lasagna recipes, it makes a large amount---- I told Larry he knows what he'll be eating the rest of this week!!!

Slow Cooker Lasagna

1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
3 cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce (I had to use small 8 oz. cans. They were basil, garlic seasoned tomato sauce. I also added some Prego Spaghetti Sauce to equal the total 45 ounces needed for the lasagna.)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. basil leaves
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese (I substituted with cottage cheese.)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used the Kraft shredded Parmesan)
15 uncooked lasagna noodles (I used the Ronzoni Whole Grain.)

1. Cook sausage and onion in a skillet over medium heat until that sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.

2. Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses. (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while the lasagna cooks.)

3. Spoon one-fourth of the sausage mixture into a 6 quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.

4. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender. (My slow cooker cooks fast; so, it only took mine 4 hours.)

5. Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces.

Larry loved this. It was good. It was nice getting it in the slow cooker about 2:00. My piano lessons started at 3:30 and weren't over until after 6:00; so it was great having supper ready. I had already washed the lettuce earlier for our salad; so our supper was ready in minutes.

This is a keeper recipe. Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover