Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Spaghetti Pizza Casserole

Posted by Lori:

When Joe and I first married, we lived in southwest Kansas for a year and a half. An older couple from church invited us over one evening and served spaghetti pizza. Both of us still remember it after all these years (22 years). It was really good, but also very unique. I don't recall ever making it before, but recently I had some leftover spaghetti, so it was a perfect time to try this dish out on our kiddos. It was gobbled up by all of them - and my husband and I, too!

This is a great way to use leftover spaghetti noodles and sauce.  The casserole can be frozen before baked.
Spaghetti Pizza Casserole

1 pound spaghetti (I break mine in half before cooking.)
1 egg
1 cup evaporated milk (regular milk is fine, too)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 - 1 1/2 pound ground beef
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
1 (approx. 26.5 ounce) can or jar spaghetti sauce
2 1/2 to 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Other toppings as desired:  pepperoni, Canadian bacon, sausage, green peppers, onions, pineapple, mushrooms, etc.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium skillet, brown ground beef, seasoning as desired with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  Drain grease if needed.  Cook spaghetti per package directions.  Drain.  Stir egg, evaporated milk, and Parmesan cheese into spaghetti.  Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray (such as Pam). Pour spaghetti mixture into prepared dish. Spread evenly and mash down slightly.  Pour spaghetti sauce over noodles.  Add ground beef (and any other desired toppings).  Top with mozzarella cheese.  Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until cheese is melted and just beginning to brown around the edges. Allow to set 5 - 10 minutes before serving so that it will set up better.  Of course, if you're in a rush as we usually are, you don't care if it "looks" perfect - as long as it tastes good - so just dig in immediately!

One time when I made this dish, I had leftover Alfredo sauce (from this recipe) that I used in place of the milk and Parmesan cheese.  I still added the egg.  I liked it better this way, but my children prefer it as listed above.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover