Monday, November 1, 2010

Baked Okra

Posted by Donna

My husband decided to plant a few seeds of okra this year. He ended up with four plants that were about six feet tall. We're not sure why they got so tall, but our local newspaper featured a man who also had okra plants just as tall. Out of those four plants, we've had an over abundance of okra. My husband would eat fried okra every meal. We were having it almost everyday, but that much fried "stuff" isn't the healthiest of choices. I had tried pouring a little olive oil on top of the okra and baking it, but didn't like that too well. One of my daughter's friends told her to try baking okra using this recipe and I liked it much better. Nothing can take the place of it being fried, but this certainly tasted good and it is much healthier.

Spray a foil lined cookie sheet with Pam.


Toss the desired amount of okra in corn meal, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Spread the okra out in a single layer on top of the foil.

Lightly spray the top of the mealed okra with Pam.

Bake at 400 degrees until slightly browned. Don't overbake. Mine took about 20 minutes.



When we were visiting in Lubbock here recently, Kimberly was out of corn meal. Instead, she used Panko crumbs and the okra turned out really well.









Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Makes sense! Someone gave us a bunch of okra recently and we fried it. I found out mine wasn't as sweet as the breading on Stilwell's brand. They must put sugar in theirs.

Last night a friend of ours told us he loved okra just sliced and stewed in a pot with tomatoes and onions. I had made the Fried okra salad with tomatoes and onion, but never stewed. Sounds good too!

Donna said...

I love stewed okra--the tomatoes and onions stewed with it sound really good. The okra salad you made is one of my favorites. I also like to put okra in my stew--if I do, though, I have to cook two different pots because Larry won't touch it. He says it ruins it! A friend of ours loves to eat it raw.

 
Pin It button on image hover