Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lighted Snowman Jar Craft

Posted by Lori:

Every once in a while, instead of a "food" recipe, we like to give you a "craft" recipe. Every year when I get out my Christmas decoration totes, it's always so much fun. On my husband's side of the family, with each of his five siblings and their spouses, we do a homemade gift exchange. This Lighted Snowman Jar Craft is something I made many years ago for that exchange. It's still one of my very favorites, though it's a little scratched up.  In fact, when it's lit, the scratches don't show up at all.

Lighted Snowman Jar Craft

1 large glass jar (I found this one at a dollar-type store.)
1 ivy bowl (non fluted is best, but I used fluted and covered the fluted part with the hat)
Paint
Material or fleece for hat/scarf
Hot glue gun/glue sticks
Christmas lights (20 or 25 count)
Sponge or sponge brush
Round sponge
Raffia/buttons, if desired

Sponge paint both jars lightly with white or ivory paint. (I used ivory.)  Allow paint to dry. Sponge black paint circles for eyes and mouth on ivy bowl and buttons on the large jar. Paint on an orange carrot-looking nose.  Allow to dry.
With choice of fabric or fleece, measure around top of ivy bowl, leaving and extra 1/2 inch or so.  For the heighth, leave it long, to desired length.  Hot glue edges together to make a seam and hot glue a cuff to hide cut edge. (Fleese might not need this step.)  Hot glue hat onto top of ivy bowl.  Bring end of fabric/fleece together and tie with raffia or ribbon.  Cut top edge of fabric in strips to make decorative top. Glue buttons on hat for decoration, if desired.
Cut strip of fleece to make scarf.  Cut strips on each end to make fringe.  Tie around neck/top of large jar.
Insert light strand into large jar.  Place ivy bowl/snowman's head on top.  Plug in the lights to light up your snowman.  (As I was typing this, I looked online and saw a similar craft using a pickle jar.  It said to drill a hole in the base of the pickle jar for the light strand.  I wouldn't have ever attempted drilling into glass, but apparently it works!) My light strand just pokes out from in-between the two jars and works just fine.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover