Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Splendid Green Beans

Posted by Lori:
I've often had people ask what I put in my green beans, but actually it's nothing special. I really think the key is cooking them long enough for the flavors to meld together.  Typically, I make four regular-sized cans to feed my family and have enough for some leftovers, but I'm listing this recipe using only one can, then you can double, triple, or so on, as needed.

For many of you, this recipe isn't needed.  You have your own version of tried and true green beans.  But, maybe some of you are new to the kitchen (perhaps a new wife) and you're not sure what to do with that can of green beans...maybe this will help!

Splendid Green Beans (Italian version listed below)
1 regular sized can green beans - cut, whole, or Italian style
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sugar, brown sugar, or sugar substitute
1 slice bacon (I use a thick variety)

Place all ingredients into saucepan and basically cook them to death! I think that's the key - boiling almost all of the juices out. If you don't want to use the bacon because of the fat, use a boillion cube (probably only one cube to two cans). If you don't care for Splenda, use sugar or brown sugar. Remove bacon before serving, if desired; however, if left in, it will continue to season leftover green beans if left in with them.

For Italian green beans, use the Italian variety of green beans and add some Italian seasoning. I remember doing this years ago and never could convince a friend that they weren't home grown!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Donna said...

As Lori's mother, I can assure you that these green beans really are delicious. The Italian version is so good with lasagna and spaghetti.

 
Pin It button on image hover