Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mexican Casserole

Posted by Donna:

A few weeks ago, I was in Lubbock for our grandson's program at school. While there, Kimberly made this casserole. It came out of the recipe book that our grandchildren's school published. It has a lot of very good recipes that were submitted by teachers, parents, and grandparents. I really liked the flavor of this recipe. I kept waiting for Kimberly to post it; but since she didn't, I decided to. I fixed this for Larry and me this past week. I think I like it even better warmed up. The original recipe calls for 2 lbs. of ground beef; but, like Kimberly, I used chicken instead. Of course, Larry's first comment was that it was good, but it would have been better if I had used ground beef. Isn't that just like a man????

4 chicken breasts (boiled and shredded)

1 medium onion, chopped

1 (4 oz..) can chopped green chiles

1 can cream of mushroom soup

2 (4 oz.) cans taco sauce

1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce

1 can ranch-style beans

1 (16 oz.) pkg. grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 dozen corn tortillas

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brown the onion and green chiles in a large skillet. Add the soup, taco sauce, enchilada sauce, and beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes. In a lightly greased 13 x 9 casserole dish, layer the tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. I only had to bake mine for 30 minutes.

Instead of the tortillas, 1 pkg. of Doritos can be used.

The original recipe suggested serving it with cornbread and picante sauce. And of course, I always have to have a side of guacamole.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover