Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cracker Candy

Posted by Lori:

Note: I made this recipe today and it was great, but mine didn't set up - although it still tastes great. It could be my stove (ancient!) and not cooking hot enough. One tip I found online said to cook the mixture to soft boil stage...other things said 3 minutes of boiling. (I'll do 3 minutes next time and test to soft ball stage.)

Yesterday while shopping in Oklahoma City, my daughter and I went into one of my favorite stores - Williams Sonoma. For some reason, as soon as we walked in there, I thought of a recipe I had made when my husband and I first married. It was a praline type of saltine cracker. I really liked them and have had them a few times since, but haven't made them except for that one time.

Last night when we got home I got a Facebook message from a friend with a recipe she wanted me to try. It was for a praline-type cracker, but also had chocolate - YUM! I'm going to make these this week.

Cracker Candy
Saltine crackers (enough to lay flat in a 9 x 13)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 regular size bag of chocolate chips

Line baking dish with foil and spray with non stíck cooking spray. Place saltines flat in bottom of pan making sure they don't overlap. Break some in half to fill edges if needed. Place butter and brown sugar in saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil mixture for 2 mintues. Pour on top of saltine crackers and spread if necessary making sure all crackers are covered. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle entire bag of choclate chips on top. Let them sit and melt for a little while. Once mostly melted spread chocolate so that it covers the top. Let cool until entirely cool or place in freezer to speed the process. Once cooled, break into pieces and enjoy:-)

Thanks for the recipe, Renee!
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

That sounds similar to a graham cracker praline recipe I've made...w/o the chocolate!

Shonda said...

I've made that before. I've also added butterscotch chips and called it Heath Bars.

 
Pin It button on image hover