Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bayrum and Glycerin Lotion

Posted by Donna:

A few weeks back, I posted a homemade hand cream for women and mentioned another homemade lotion that would be posted later. This is especially good for men who have dry, rough hands. Both lotions would be great stocking stuffers for Christmas.

I'm going to write this verbatim from how my grandmother, Crystal Nell, wrote down the story about this particular hand lotion. It's quite a cute story.


BAYRUM AND GLYCERIN HAND LOTION HISTORY
by Crystal Nell

" This lotion dates back to the early 1900's. A doctor's wife gave the recipe to my mother. There is a little story to this that might be of interest to you. In 1919 before Bryan and I married in 1920, I wanted Bryan to eat dinner at my home. He wouldn't because he had been picking cotton and his hands were all chapped and red; so I told him about bayrum and glycerin lotion. He began using it, and a lot of other cotton pickers did also. Ben Brown, who used to work in the drug store at Hollis, told me that my daughters had encouraged a lot of other girls to start using it. I still use it as a powder base on my face."

I told you it was a cute story. This lotion has quite a history in my family. I remember how some of us kids would put the lotion on our hands, then lick it off. It probably wasn't as good for our "insides" like it was our "outsides!!!!!!"

To make the lotion you need: 2 ounces glycerin and 2 ounces bay rum (Mix the two ingredients together.) You can purchase the glycerin over the counter, but the bay rum will have to be purchased from the pharmacy. The bay rum is a little pricey. I buy both items from Wal-Mart. Usually the pharmacy has the bay rum on hand; but, they will order it for you if they're out of it. I store my lotion in a plastic travel bottle that is available at Wal-Mart. I think I was able to fill two or three small bottles. The last time I made this, my brother wanted to take some home with him. He had fond memories of it, also.

Before ending my post today, I want to share a short story with you that I received via the Hollis Church Bulletin this week. I posted it on my refrigerator to read every day. It's a great reminder to daily look for opportunities to do a kind deed. By doing so, it keeps our minds off of ourselves and also keeps away pity-parties.


UNEXPECTED REWARD

I recall that when I was a small boy, mother gave me a bouquet of Lilies-of-the-Valley and directed me to take them down the street to a neighbor who was ill. When I returned, she said, "Smell your hands." I sniffed, and to my childish delight, I found that my hands still bore the delicate odor of the flowers. Then my mother said something I shall never forget. "Flowers always leave some of their fragrance on the hands of the giver." Life itself is like that. Every good deed or action towards someone else is bound to leave us a sweeter person.
Pin It Now!
 
Pin It button on image hover