Monday, December 21, 2009

Candied Yams

Posted by Donna:

This is a favorite sidedish that I'm sure we all love to make at Christmas and Thanksgiving. I also know we all have our standard recipe that we use; but, I decided to post this anyway just in case there are some first-timers making the family Christmas dinner. This can be adjusted to the number being served. I'm posting what I usually do that will serve at least 12-13 people.

Peel 8-10 sweet potatoes. Put the whole potatoes in a large sauce pan and cook until tender---not mushy. Drain the water off the potatoes and let them cool. Once they have cooled down, slice the potatoes in half. Because the potatoes are usually large, I cut the halves into as well.

The next step I either do one of two different ways.

Put the potato wedges in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle the wedges with brown sugar and then add dollops of butter on top. Bake the sweet potatoes about 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Take the potatoes out and add mini-marshmallows on top and return to oven. Let the marshmallows brown on top.

The other way is to melt the butter on top of the stove; then add the brown sugar to the butter. Cook until well blended. Pour this on top of the sweet potatoes. Bake the same as above and also add the marshmallows. To me, this is the fastest way. They taste the same--it's just a matter of time.

I know I didn't put down the amount of butter/margarine to use. I never measure the amounts. I'm sure I use at least 3/4 cup melted butter. Add enough brown sugar so the sauce will be slightly thick. Again, this is a personal preference as to how much sugar you want to add.


I do want to wish everyone a very, Merry Christmas!!!!!!





Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

 
Pin It button on image hover