Monday, January 24, 2011

Mexican Chicken Soup

Posted by Donna:

I decided last week that I had to start eating healthier and not eat so many sweets. After I decided that, I went and ate several chocolate chip cookies just to get them out of the house. (tee hee) I hope I'm not the only one that does that. It's too wasteful to throw them away. Anyway, after I decided that, I started surfing the web for healthy recipes. This soup caught my eye. It was listed under "Healthy Soups." I wasn't disappointed in it at all. I really liked it---Larry thought it was good, too.

2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded


1/2 tsp. olive oil


1/2 tsp, minced garlic


1/4 tsp. ground cumin


2 cans chicken broth


1 cup frozen corn (I used white corn.)


1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onion


1/2 tsp. chili powder


1/2 T. lemon juice


1 cup salsa


Crushed tortilla chips


shredded cheese ( I used the Mexican four blend cheese)

Cook the ground cumin and minced garlic in the olive oil for about 5 - 8 minutes.

Add the next six ingredients and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes. Put cruched tortilla chips in each serving bowl. Pour the soup on top of the chips. Top with the shredded cheese. I also put a huge dollop of guacamole on ours. Sour cream can also be added to the top.

This is very, very filling. I couldn't eat all of mine. It is definitely worth making.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

we eat soup once a week and this sounds pretty simple and good! Have to try it!

 
Pin It button on image hover