Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lea's Crock Pot Dressing

Posted by Lori:
Pictured:  Major Domo's Favorite Pie

Because we were at Disney World and eating at Cinderella's Royal Table for Christmas dinner, we didn't get our usual turkey and dressing meal.  We ate the dish pictured above.  It was very, very good, but I think we all missed having turkey and dressing at least one time during our Christmas vacation.  On Saturday, New Year's Day, our youngest son, Tyler said, "Mom, can you fix us Christmas dinner?"  I told him I would soon because I was hungry for it, too.

So this past Tuesday was the day - January 4th - and we had Christmas dinner.  I had been wanting to try this dressing recipe for quite a while, but I don't make dressing very often.  It's a friend's recipe and she put it in our Bible camp cookbook a few years ago. The appeal of cooking something in the crock pot, while freeing up the oven, was a key reason in my wanting to try it.  Now, after eating this dressing, it's not just the crock pot that will keep me making this recipe from now on.  It is delicious!  It's a lot like another one I have posted on here, but I really like this one better.  My family does, too.

LEA'S CROCK POT DRESSING

3 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, prepared according to instructions on box
6-8 slices bread, toast or biscuits (I used 4 boxes of Jiffy and didn't use the bread)
4 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery
1 stick butter
4 eggs, well beaten
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3 cans chicken broth (or use broth from turkey)

Tear up breads and mix in seasonings.  Saute' vegetables in butter until soft.  Combine all ingredients and mix well in large mixing bowl.  Pour mixture into crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.  Stir often, scraping sides as you stir.  This can be baked in an oven at 350 degrees, covered, for about an hour, but a crock-pot seems to keep it moist and frees up your oven for other things.
-------------------------

I failed to read the stirring part, so never stirred it.  Mine was wet after cooking on low for 3 hours, so I turned it to high the last hour.  It was still wet, so I microwaved it a bit, in a seperate dish.  I think if I had stirred it during cooking, it wouldn't have been wet.  Either way, it was still great!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover