Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Grandma Nell's Macaroni & Cheese

Posted by Lori:
Mom has already posted her variation of Grandma Nell's Macaroni and Cheese, using cheddar cheese, but I decided to post my variation, as well. Grandma Nell's Mac & Cheese was the best! I've never seen it duplicated, either. I don't know if it is the difference in cheeses now or what, but I've never been able to figure out how she did it - and we all have her exact recipe. The cheese didn't really melt together, it just clumped together and the noodles and butter were together. It was unique and it was delicious!

First I'll share with you Grandma Nell's original recipe from our Nell Family Cookbook:

Boil 5 oz. macaroni. Put a layer of macaroni in bottom of pan, one layer of cheese. Put chunks of butter on that. Put another layer macaroni, and another layer of cheese. Put more butter on top. Pour 3/4 can velvetized carnation milk over dish. Bake at 350 degrees until brown. (Use Kraft sliced cheese. Not individually wrapped.)

Now here is my variation:

1 - 24 ounce package large elbow macaroni
30 slices Kraft American cheese (I use the individually wrapped.)
1 1/2 sticks butter (not margarine)
Salt, pepper
1 can evaporated milk

Boil macaroni according to package directions. Drain water and rinse noodles with hot water. Pour half of macaroni into 5 quart casserole dish.
Layer 15 slices of cheese over macaroni, overlapping as needed. 
Cut butter into slices and layer have of it over the cheese.
Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Repeat layers. Pour evaporated milk over the layers evenly.
          Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love your blog! I stumbled across it last night when I was adding blogs to my own blog. I have posted your blog as one of my favorites. I would like for you to check out my blog too. I am new at this. I am a teacher in KY and blogging seems to be a great place to journal recipes, craft ideas and share my family with others. Please check out my blog as I have added yours to my favorites! Thanks for a wonderful blog to read and look at! Mine is www.thepinkpumpkin.blogspot.com
Thanks!

Lori said...

Melissa - Thank you for stopping by and adding our blog to yours. I really like the name of your blog and the reason you chose it! I don't teach, but the other 2 Cherry Cokes are or were (Mom is retired and Kimberly, my sister, has taken a break for a few years with her children young, but is getting ready to go back). Congratulations on your new blog and we look forward to getting to know you via the blogosphere! (I'll add yours to our list, too!)
Lori

 
Pin It button on image hover