Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Posted by Lori:
It doesn't take much to impress four hungry children.  I was reminded of this fact once again this week when I tried a new way of making grilled cheese sandwiches. (You may recall the Triple Decker Grilled Cheese  from several months ago.   This was an even bigger hit.) It reminds us of the grilled cheese sandwiches served at a drive-in restaurant in Lawton (Wayne's for you in this area).  They're great!  

We only buy 100% whole wheat sliced bread, so to eat a sandwich on plain, white bread is a treat for our children.  I wouldn't admit it to them, but I enjoy them from time to time, too.   (In fact, at VBS last week, Tyler (the youngest) was eating a PB & J on white and came up to me and said, "Mom, this bread is awesome!"  We switched to the whole wheat before he was born, so that's all he knows!)

So, this "new" grilled cheese is with white bread - thick, Texas Toast-type sliced bread.  I put two slices of cheese on each sandwich and cook it in REAL butter.  I prefer real butter because it's realYes, I know it's higher in fat, but I still prefer real over not real...but use whatever YOU prefer.

So, here's the recipe for two sandwiches:  Melt 2 tablespoons (you could get by with a little less) butter in large skillet over medium heat.
Take four slices of Texas toast and top one slice with two slices of American cheese.
Top with other slice of bread and place in skillet.  And now, top it with a heavy saucepan.  This makes the cheese melt and makes the grilled cheese the best, in our opinion.  You may have a bacon press or something similar.  I don't have one.  I wanted to get one the other day, but it was over $20!  I decided my heavy saucepan would work just fine!  I'll keep looking for a cheaper version of the press.
Smash (for lack of a better term) the saucepan down on the sandwiches.  Remove after 30 seconds or so.  With turner/spatula, check the sandwiches for desired browning.  When the first side is done, remove sandwiches from skillet.
Melt one tablespoon more of butter, then return sandwiches to skillet to cook the other side.  Replace heavy saucepan for 30 seconds or more.  Cook until browned.  ENJOY!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover