Monday, June 7, 2010

Baked Steak

Many years ago I was eating lunch at a "tea room" type place with my dad.  I ordered a chicken fried steak that had some kind of gravy on top.  It was delicious!  The next time I made chicken fried steak for my husband and I (we didn't have children at that time), I used the leftovers to make my own version of that great baked steak.  It's been a favorite of ours ever since.  Mom fixes it frequently and I have listed her ratios, as well as mine, below. 

BAKED STEAK
Chicken Fried Steak (that has been battered and fried) 
NOTE:  I always use leftovers that usually have been frozen, but you could use steak that has been cooked specifically for this recipe.
Cream of Mushroom Soup

Ratio I use:  6 steaks....3 soups....1 1/2 cans water
Ratio Mom uses:  2 steaks.....2 soups....no water

It's really just whatever you prefer.  Of course, as Mom mentioned to me....you have to have enough "gravy" to use on your mashed potatoes!  YUM!

Place desired amount of chicken fried steak pieces in casserole dish.  Cover with cream of mushroom soup.  Pour water over the meat/soup, if desired.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover