Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Brownies with Turtle Cream Cheese Frosting


Yesterday I needed to make a dessert for our county livestock show concession stand. I was rushed for time, so decided a brownie pizza would be best. Children like it a lot.  But then I thought of the adults who typically eat cheesecake when I bring it, as usual, and felt kind of guilty that I hadn't done something bigger!  

So, as I was baking the brownies, and after buying the brownie pizza toppings, I decided to switch gears.  I like cream cheese icing and turtle toppings of caramel, chocolate and pecans, so that's what went on top of the brownies! Apparently they were a hit! I got a small bite from a piece I had saved for myself on the counter by my things.  I looked up just in time to see one of the ag teachers eating it!!  Ha ha!!!  I told him he "stole" my dessert! He felt bad, but I didn't need it any way. I just asked to take a small bite off the edge, just so I would know what to post.  We asked him what his opinion was of it:  As he chewed, he said, "Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!"  Later he said it was great!  I think I need to make it again soon :).

BROWNIES WITH TURTLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1 pound (4 sticks) butter, softened (not margarine)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
4 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
5 cups pecans (optional - I didn't use in the brownies, just on top)

Turtle Topping: Chopped Pecans, Mini Chocolate Chips, and 1 jar caramel ice cream topping.

DO NOT USE ELECTRIC MIXER, but mix by hand in order given above. Place in greased and floured (or sugared *** see note below) pan. The recipe says to use a jelly roll pan (10 x 15 x 1) or 2 cake pans (9 x 13). I used my large Doughmakers pan I've mentioned several times that's 13 x 18.5.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Do not overbake!! Cool and ice with icing below.


CREAM CHEESE ICING
2 sticks butter, softened
2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
4-6 cups confectioners' sugar (I probably used 6, but you might not like it as sweet.)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 

(Add milk, if needed, to thin icing if you get it too thick.)

Beat softened butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Spread on top of cooled brownies. Top with chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips and caramel. Refrigerate due to cream cheese icing, but set out for 30 min. or so before serving, if desired.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover