Sunday, October 9, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies and the 4-H Demonstration Contest

Posted by Lori:

The very first 4-H demonstration I ever did was a team demonstration with my cousin, Shelley.  She and I made this oatmeal cookies.  Not too long ago, I came across the typed out demonstration pages.  It brought back memories....funny memories!

During the demonstration, Shelley and I would switch back and forth with one of us being the narrator, and one of us demonstration the "how to" part of the recipe.  Well, apparently, as Shelley was narrating the ingredients, I poured the wrong ingredient into the bowl!  Shelley began to laugh.  I didn't know what she was laughing about and can't remember now if I laughed or not, but I probably did.  All I remember is seeing Shelley's mom giving her the "evil eye"!  She was trying to get her to stop laughing, but it was impossible.  And me....still clueless about what had happened!

Now fast-forward about 30 years to another 4-H demonstration contest, but this time I was the "evil-eyed-mom"!  This time it's my oldest son and his best friend, who, by the way, is Shelley's nephew!  They laughed during the entire demonstration!  They were demonstrating how to make Puppy Chow.  It was out-of-control with the laughter and of course the judge marked off points for their inability to contain the giggles, but now, looking back, it was still a great experience for them.

Do you have any funny stories about demonstrating contests?? (Recipe for Oatmeal Cookies below)

Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 baking powder
2 cups oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix 1 cup oil, brown sugar, and white sugar together.  Add egg and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add flour, soda and baking powder.  Mix well, then add oats. (Dough will be very stiff.)

Roll into small balls with hands.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Pin It Now!
 
Pin It button on image hover