Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fake Spaghetti and Malt Balls

Posted by Lori:

I wrote at the end of March about some April Fool's Day ideas.  Here is another one:  Fake Spaghetti and Malt Balls.  I got this recipe from Family Fun and if you'll click on the underlined link it will take you directly to their site.  My version of the recipe is listed below.  There is also a fake garlic bread below.

This "fake meal" recipe turned out so cute and my kids were excited!  Unfortunately, the only meal they were going to be home for that day was breakfast, so that's when they had it.  Our school has a free breakfast program, so I thought they could just eat some protein there - until we saw that donuts were on the menu!  Quickly I cooked some bacon and gave them peanut butter and crackers.  Not the "breakfast of champions" that day, but it sure was lots of fun!

Fake Spaghetti and Malt Balls

Store-bought pound  cake
Store-bought vanilla frosting (I added a few tablespoons of powdered sugar to thicken.)
Strawberry ice cream sauce
Chocolate malt balls (I used Whoppers candy)
Green sprinkles
White chocolate chips
Store-bought Angel Food Loaf Cake
Family Fun suggests these items, as well:  coconut, lady fingers,
Place a half a slice of pound cake in the center of a plate. (I used a small dessert-type plate.) Spoon the frosting into a decorating tube fitted with a large, circular tip (my tip was really too small, but it worked.) and pipe it in a looping fashion around the sides of the cake - do not frost the top.

Spoon strawberry ice cream sauce on top of cake to cover. Drizzle a little over portions of the spaghetti as well. Place the Whoppers or malt balls on top of the "sauce."

Fake Garlic Bread

Slice Angel Food Loaf Cake into one inches slices, then in half.  Broil under broiler to toast.  (Could turn and repeat on other side.  Melt white chocolate chips in microwave until soft.  Stir chips until smooth and spread onto toasted Angel Food slices.  Top with green sprinkles.  Serve on plate with spaghetti.

I had neat mint-flavored sprinkles that were green and white.  I picked out the green and used for this.  I could have used the white on the spaghetti sauce, but didn't. 

Be sure to read Family Fun's version.  There are a few differences.  I just used what I could get or had on hand.   You could use all Angel Food Loaf Cake, but I got both to make sure I had plenty for all four of my kiddos.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover