Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fried Potatoes and Onions

Posted by Lori:

Rarely do I make French fries for my family - or anything fried very often, for that matter (not that they don't eat it elsewhere such as at school or fast food/restaurants) - but yesterday we were having beans and cornbread and I mentioned that fried potatoes sounded good to go along with the meal.  My oldest son, Zachary, asked what I meant by fried potatoes.  I explained them to him - that they were a soft type of French fry.  He sounded interested.  I got to thinking and concluded that I hadn't ever made fried potatoes for them - these kind of fried potatoes, anyway. So, I decided to look up different fried potato recipes.

I found this recipe at Food.com.  The recipe was called Uncle Bill's Fried Potatoes and Onions and was written by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin.  So, thanks, Uncle Bill, for a great recipe!  I think it said it was his grandmother's recipe.  I'll share it will all of you, too.

Fried Potatoes and Onions


4 large russet potatoes or 4 large Yukon gold potatoes
1 large onions, sliced thin
4 tablespoons butter, if necessary (or more)
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Peel and slice potatoes about 1/8 inch thick or thinner.

Slice onion thinly.

In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, melt butter.

Add sliced potatoes and onions, cover and fry for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes and onions over so they do not break apart. If potatoes appear too dry, add some additional butter.

Sprinkle with granulated garlic powder, salt and pepper and continue to fry with cover removed for another 5 minutes or until potatoes begin to turn slightly brown; turning occasionally.


Serve hot with your meal.

Note: You may use 2 or 3 large garlic cloves (chopped small), instead of granulated garlic powder. Add to the potatoes after the first 10 minutes of cooking time.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I had a friend mention the Yukon gold potatoes the other day, when we were discussing mashed potatoes and the amount of butter and milk we add. She said she fools her husband into thinking there's lot of butter in there because of the color of the Yukon golds...so she is sneaky making him eat more healthy! I don't think I've ever bought them but I might try them now!

 
Pin It button on image hover