Thursday, February 28, 2013

K-3rd Manners and Etiquette Class

Yesterday I had the opportunity to teach a manners and etiquette class again, only this time instead of teaching it to older students, I taught it to the Kindergarten through 3rd grade students. The class is part of an enrichment after-school program.
Watching the youngest ones try to set a "proper" place setting was interesting!  They were trying their very hardest to do it correctly!  After a few minutes, I handed out the correct place setting mat, which showed them exactly what to do.  The mat is from Parents.com, and is printable.  The students were excited to learn they would take their mats home with them.
One thing that has impressed me about the groups I've taught is that in almost all of them, one of the students has said, "We need to pray!".  We pray before every meal too, thanking God for the food and all of His blessings.  It's heartwarming to hear these students ask to pray and know that not one of them has a problem with praying to God!  We live in a special part of the world to be able to do that freely!
The snack bowls were passed around the tables, correctly of course!  Counter-clockwise or clockwise???  Do YOU know?? :)  Counter-clockwise....to the right.
Two young girls were in my older etiquette class last month.  As they sat down they were embarrassed to have to tell me they had forgotten all I had taught them!  Ha!!  Well, it just goes to show you that good manners and etiquette is something that should be taught all of the time.  Only then will it become a habit.  A one time thing during a short 25 minute class won't cut it!  Practice makes perfect...or at least 'better'!
As they eat their snack, I do a question and answer time, asking the students several questions with multiple choice answers.  I also like to read them this poem that I'll share with you:

THE GOOPS
by Gillette Burgess
The Goops they lick their fingers
And the Goops they lick their knives:
They spill their froth on the tablecloth
Oh, they lead disgusting lives!
The Goops they talk while eating,
And loud and fast they chew;
And that is why I'm glad that I
Am not a Goop, are you?

Pin It Now!
 
Pin It button on image hover