Thursday, February 21, 2013

Jiffy Buttermilk Cornbread

(I baked mine in a sheet cake pan, so it's thin. You may want it thicker.)

My very favorite cornbread to make is straight from the box - Jiffy.  It's sad, I know!  I would think I would prefer homemade too, but I don't....and it's soooooooo easy!

Last night I was making Jiffy (I use 4 boxes for my family of six so that we'll have leftovers for lunches).  I had some buttermilk that I had bought for something, then ended up not needing it.  I needed to use it, so decided to use it in the Jiffy - as a replacement for regular milk.  Because buttermilk is so much thicker than regular milk, I added more than was 'called for'.

For four boxes of Jiffy, I would have needed 1 1/3 cup of milk.  I added an extra 1/3 cup of buttermilk to that measurement.  The result was a slight difference, but also a smoother, less course texture of cornbread.  I think I may change to using this buttermilk method every time now - except I'll just make my own with vinegar and regular milk because I hardly ever buy it because I don't use it often enough.

So, if you're a Jiffy fan....try this buttermilk cornbread and let me know what you think! I think you'll be glad you tried it!

(*On a side note, my brother-in-law introduced us to a 'butter' made from buttermilk. It's called "Move Over Butter".  It's delicious, too!  Perfect on the buttermilk cornbread!)
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

sounds yummy! I've used buttermilk lately too because I happened to buy it for the soup I made that had buttermilk chive dumplings in it!

 
Pin It button on image hover