Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Organza Flowers



Posted by Donna:

Our younger daughter and her family were here last week. Kimberly and I were going to try a new recipe out, but instead we decided to make a pillow and add an organza flower to it. These are so easy to make and can be used in many different ways. I had bought everything for the pillow a couple of months ago, but never found the time to make it. I'm glad I waited now. It's much more fun to do "crafts" with someone.

Organza Flower

1/2 yard organza ( I bought extra fabric to make more flowers. I used ivory.)
Pearl buttons
clipping of satin ( I had the saleslady cut a corner off the black satin---of course, it was free.)


Cut three circles from the organza--three varying sizes. My largest circle was 3 3/4 inch. The next circle was 3 inches in diameter. The last circle was about 2 1/2 inches. The circles can be cut free-handed; unless you're like me and have to have a pattern. I finally found some drinking cups and glasses for mine.

Once the circles have been cut out, light a candle in a glass container or votive. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought one. Hold the edges of the circle over the flame until it curls up. This goes pretty fast. We got a little close on a couple of spots and had to clip some of the edge off. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's really simple. After all three circles have been done, stack them on top of each other.

Pull some of the stray edges off the satin and roll into a ball--then spread out a little--and place on top of the flowers. Place one pearl button on top of the satin and sew all the layers together: organza flowers, satin, and pearl button. Sew the flower onto the pillow. That's it.

I may go back and make two more flowers for this pillow. I like it with just the one, but I think I would like it even better with two more. Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover