Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mexican Casserole

Posted by Kimberly:

I like Mexican food, but with the exception of the chicken fajitas at Pappasito's (the best ever Mexican food restaurant located in major Texas cities), I prefer to eat Mexican food that is homemade. This Mexican casserole is a super easy dish that we have quite often at our house. In fact, we had it last night and then the leftovers again tonight. It makes your meat go further and makes a bunch! Gotta love that!!!

Mexican Casserole

2 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 (8 oz.) jar taco sauce
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce (I actually use a little more than this)
1 can ranch-style beans
1 (16 oz.) pkg. grated cheddar cheese (I use A LOT more than this!)
1 pkg. Doritos or 1 dozen corn tortillas (I use corn tortillas)

Brown beef and onion in a large skillet. Add green chilies, soup, taco sauce, enchilada sauce, and beans. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. In a lightly greased 9x13 casserole dish, layer half of the chips or tortillas, half of the beef mixture, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

I substitute chicken for the beef, which I did last night. I just boil 4 chicken breasts and then shred them. I do this to avoid eating too much beef during a week. I'm sure my husband prefers it with the beef (what man wouldn't?), but I like it just as well either way.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover