Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coconut Cream Pie

Posted by Donna:

Here I go again with my "old" recipes--- that more than likely--- most of you fix yourselves very often. I hear people say how much trouble and work it is to make a pie. I do have to admit cakes are easier and last longer; but, there's just something about making a homemade pie that is very gratifying. People love a homemade pie. I have found that homemade pies are one of the best desserts to make for people.

This recipe came out of an old Betty Crocker recipe book. The only change I made was instead of using whole milk, I use carnation evaporated milk.

3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour

2 cups carnation evaporated milk ( I always use one can of evaporated milk. It lacks just a little bit making the 2 cups; so, I use whole milk just to fill the second cup of milk.)

3 egg yolks, slightly beaten with a fork

2 T. margarine

1 tsp. vanilla

1 9-inch baked pastry crust ( This was posted with the Chocolate Pie recipe.)
1 recipe meringue

In a saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks; then, pour that mixture back into the saucepan. Cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the butter and vanilla. Add 1 cup of coconut. Pour into the baked pie crust.

Meringue: Beat the 3 egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3 T. sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and a dash of cream of tartar (about an 1/8 of a tsp.) and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread on the cream filling. Sprinkle coconut over the meringue. Bake at 350 degrees until the meringue is golden.

On occasion, I have made this pie, as well as the Chocolate Pie, and baked them in my miniature pie tins. I gave them to my neighbors last year as their Christmas gift. Also, I have taken them to friends just for fun. They love the miniature pies.



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

 
Pin It button on image hover