Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vegetable Casserole

Posted by Lori:
This is one of my Grandma Sibyl's recipes. I remember her serving it for every holiday dinner at her house. I always really liked it, although I don't think I had any idea what was in it at the time, or I might not have eaten it!

I am going to give you her original recipe, followed by the recipe with my own adaptations. By looking at the ingredients and directions, you may prefer one over the other, according to your taste preferences. My recipe is also doubled, since I always cook BIG!

GRANDMA'S VEGETABLE CASSEROLE
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can French-style green beans, drained
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can celery soup
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Cheese nips

Mix together and pour in 9 x 9 dish. Cover with crushed cheese nips. Melt 1/2 stick oleo and pour over nips. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbles, about 30 minutes.

VEGETABLE CASSEROLE
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans French-style green beans, drained
1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1 - 8 oz. carton sour cream
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I've used all cream of mushroom soup, too)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Cheese flavored crackers, crushed (ex. Cheez-Its, Goldfish, etc.)
2 sticks butter or margarine

In small skillet, cook chopped onion and 1 stick butter or margarine until onions are translucent. In large bowl, combine corn, green beans, chilies, sour cream, soups, and cheese. Mix in cooked onions. Pour ingredients into 9 x 13 casserole dish. Top with crushed crackers. Melt remaining stick of butter and pour over crackers. Bake 45 minutes (or until bubbling) at 350 degrees.

If you are making it ahead of time, refrigerate casserole until needed. Add crackers and melted butter or margarine just before baking.

I take this casserole to church potluck dinners and serve at Thanksgiving dinner with my husband's family. It always makes me think of Grandma!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I love this at Thanksgiving!

 
Pin It button on image hover