Friday, July 24, 2009

Creamy Baked Potato Salad

Posted by Lori:
Yesterday was our second oldest child's 13th birthday. Zachary wanted a hamburger/hot dog cookout for his special day, which also included baked beans and potato salad on the menu. I've had people ask about my potato salad before and what I used in it and how much, but I didn't really know how much of anything I used. So, this time as I was making it, I took the time to write down what I was doing and made sure to measure how much I was adding. And then, since Mom asked for the recipe, I decided that should be my next blog post!

CREAMY BAKED POTATO SALAD
5 lbs. potatoes (I used golden, but have used red)
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped dill pickle slices or stackers (I like Kosher)
4 Tablespoons pickle juice (which is a 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon mustard
2 cups real mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup purple onion, finely chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
few dashes of pepper

Wash potatoes and place in 9 x 13 cake pan or casserole dish. Slice butter and scatter in pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until soft. Allow to cool for 30 minutes to one hour covered. Peel off skin (leave on if desired) and cut potatoes into bite sized chunks. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Refrigerate for several hours until ready to serve.

Most people either prefer a mayo-based salad OR a mustard-based salad. This is more mayo-based, but has lots of flavor with the small amount of mustard, pickles, and pickle juice. But, I suppose the one thing that makes my potato salad different is that I use baked potatoes. I especially like the flavor of baked potatoes more than boiled potatoes. It just seems to give a unique flavor to potato salad, soups, and casseroles. However, if you prefer yours boiled, it would work just fine.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover