Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chunky Potato Soup

I know most of us usually look forward to the fall/winter seasons because we eat more soups and stews. However, I love potato soup anytime of the year. This particular recipe came from a book published by women from my home town, Hollis, OK. The recipe is my aunt's; so, that makes it special. The book is also very special to me because my daddy bought it for me about eight months before he passed away. I think we all agree that cooks from our home town, especially our relatives, are some of the best. This is the only potato soup recipe I make now.

Chunky Potato Soup
Posted by Donna:

4 medium potatoes, cubed
2 cups water
1/4 cup chopped onion
6 T. butter/margarine
3 T. all-purpose flour
3 cups milk (I always use 2% for this.)
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. (Do not drain the water off the potatoes.) Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is clear and tender, but not browned. Add flour, salt, and pepper to this mixture. Stir until well mixed. Add this mixture to the potatoes. Whisk until it is well mixed. Add the milk and cheese. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the cheese has melted.

I always add crumbled bacon, extra cheese, and chopped green onions on top of each bowl of soup. To me, soup is such a comfort food. I've taken it to those who have been "under the weather," as I know many people do. It's always so appreciated.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

This is a must to try. Think I will next week. Sounds wonderful!! Thanks for posting it. Connie

 
Pin It button on image hover