Thursday, July 2, 2009

Country Breakfast Casserole

Posted by Donna:

This recipe was given to me by my younger daughter; but, because I've fixed this several times lately the past few months, I decided to beat her in sharing it. Not really. It is true that I have been fixing it quite a bit here lately, but I didn't try to beat her. I called her and got permission to go ahead and share it. There are lots of breakfast casseroles out there; but, what makes this different is the gravy mix that is added. It is really good and it is my favorite now.

Country Breakfast Casserole

1 lb. sausage
6 eggs
1 chopped green onion
frozen hash browns
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 (2.64 oz.) pkg. McCormick country gravy mix

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Brown the sausage. Drain on a paper towel. Mix the sausage and green onion together and spread across a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Add the thawed hash browns on top of the sausage/onion mixture. I don't measure the amount of hash browns I use---I just make sure the top is covered---probably 2-3 cups. Salt and pepper the hash browns. Next, add the cheese on top of the hash browns. Whisk together the eggs, water, milk, and gravy mix. Pour this on top of the other layered ingredients. Bake 40 minutes-or until a knife comes out clean. In my oven, 40 minutes is all it takes. Let the casserole set for ten minutes before serving. The leftovers heat up very well.

I've been taking this to families who have lost a loved one. They've really enjoyed it. I think everyone enjoys breakfast goodies anytime of the day.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover