Sunday, July 31, 2011

Root Beer Pulled Pork

Posted by Lori:

For our oldest son, Zachary's birthday meal last week, he wanted "Pulled Pork".  I hadn't ever made it, so called in one of the best "chefs" I know....my brother-in-law, Ken.  Zachary actually even wanted to help me prepare the pork and thanks to Ken's directions, the Pulled Pork was a great success!!
Directions:
Purchase pork shoulder or pork butt. I bought four pork...two of them had bones in them.  This served about 20 people. Inject the pork with a bottle of liquid smoke.  (I used clean needles and syringes that my husband had for his goats!!  Ha ha!!  I made sure they were clean, never used, unopened!)

 Rub both sides of the pork with a generous amount of salt, pepper, and onion powder.... (a lot.more than you would think!).  Place in baking pan (I used a roaster).
 Pour a 2 liter bottle of root beer over the pork.  Cook at 250 degrees until pork is very tender and pulls apart.  I cooked mine about 6 hours.
Using two forks, pull the pork in opposite directions, making your "pulled pork"!  Discard bones if there are any.

Sauce:  Pour another bottle of root beer into a large sauce pan or stock pot.  Cook until liquid is reduced to about 2 cups, forming a glaze (It will still be fairly thin.).  Serve pulled pork with this glaze and/or barbeque sauce.

Thank you, Ken!  You made Zachary's meal the "best" in his opinion!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover