Monday, May 23, 2011

Lemon Squares

Posted by Donna:

All I did was cook this weekend. Saturday and Sunday were both full of activities.
As busy as it was, yesterday ended in such a relaxing and enjoyable way. Since yesterday was Family Day at our church, we had a fellowship meal after our morning services; then, had our usual evening worship service at 1:30. At 5:00, we met up at Quartz Mountain for hot dogs and just a lot of visiting. It was so nice. I think everyone would have stayed longer, except most had jobs to go to today.

One thing I had to cook for on Saturday was a wedding shower. I decided to bring Lemon Square bars. I really like lemon desserts, but not with a strong lemony taste. I've looked and looked for recipes through the years, but never ended up settling on anything---until I saw this one from Taste of Home. I wasn't disappointed at all. They melt in your mouth, almost literally. Several people at the shower commented how much they liked them, and I did see a couple of ladies go back for seconds.

I wish I could say they're healthy, but they're not!!!!!! I can say, though, that they're very satisfying. Also, the lady that submitted the recipe to Taste of Home said she takes them to bridal showers all the time because people expect her to bring them. That's about as good of a compliment that you can get!!!


Lemon Squares

3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups cold butter

Topping:

6 eggs. lightly beaten
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
Powdered sugar

In a large bowl, combine the flour and powdered sugar. Cut in the butter until crumbly. I actually used my fingers for some of this---but I washed them first!!!!! Pat into a greased 15 inch x 10 inch x 1 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 16 - 20 minutes or until set and top is golden brown.

For topping, combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and baking powder in a bowl. Pour over the crust. The pan will be very full, but it won't spill over while baking. Bake 16 - 20 minutes longer or until set and top is golden brown. Cool. After the topping has cooled, dust with powdered sugar. Cut into squares. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover