Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Broccoli Cornbread Salad

Posted by Lori:

During the end of school banquets this week, I've had several baking opportunities.  For tonight's sports' banquet I needed to take a salad.  I decided to try to create something new, just for fun - and hoping it would be successful enough to share with you tonight. It is kind of a cross between a cornbread salad and a broccoli salad we've got posted on here.

When my daughter saw what I'd made she questioned me about the ingredients.  Reluctantly, I told her.  She just looked at me like I'd lost my mind!  But, when I made her carry the salad into the banquet, she was really concerned - concerned that people might think she had made it!  :)  

I ate the new creation and really liked it.  My daughter said it was "okay".  But, right after the banquet, our high school principal's wife asked me about it.  She and our middle school principal both liked it and she wanted to know what all was in it.  So, since at least three people liked it and a lot of it is gone, I'm posting it for you.  Let me know what you think if you try it.  I know it sounds odd, but the flavor combination is really good!

First make this broccoli cornbread:

Broccoli Cornbread

4 eggs
2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix

Mix all ingredients together. Bake in a 9 x 13 pan at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until browned on top.  Allow the broccoli cornbread to cook then crumble it with a fork.

Other Salad Ingredients:

2 cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
3/4 - 1 cup sunflower seeds
1 - 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cup or more grated Parmesan cheese (I think I'll try Feta next time!)

Mix together the following three ingredients for cream mixture:
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Miracle Whip
2 packages Italian Dressing & Recipe Mix

Layer salad in very large bowl or two smaller bowls:
A portion of crumbled broccoli, black eyed peas, corn, cream mixture, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and cheese.  Repeat layers as many times as needed, ending with cream mixture (you can mix up the layers and add or subtract portions as desired.  I didn't use all of the cornbread, either.  I ran out of space, but it's good to eat all by itself!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover