Friday, June 19, 2009

Waikiki Chicken

Posted by Lori:

Since Joe & I celebrated our 21st anniversary yesterday, I thought this recipe might be the best for my post today. Waikiki Chicken was the first thing I ever cooked for Joe when we were dating, so I would have been 16. I remember setting the table with pretty plates, a centerpiece and candles. Dad, Mom, and Kim left home for the evening. Wonder where they went? I never thought about that before! This is still one of our favorites, even though our kiddos don't like it too much.

WAIKIKI CHICKEN
2 lbs. chicken breasts or pieces, unskinned
Milk
Flour
Oil
1 - 20 oz. can chunked pineapple
3/4 c. cider vinegar
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. ground ginger
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 c. sugar
1 T. soy sauce
1 lg. green bell pepper, coarsley chopped

Dip chicken pieces in milk and coat with flour. Fry in hot oil until browned. Place chicken in 9 x 13 baking dish. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to make 1 1/4 cups of liquid. Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Add pineapple juice mixture and next 4 ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Top with pineapple and green bell pepper. Bake for 30 minutes longer. Serve with rice (We like brown rice cooked with chicken broth instead of water).

It's great using the fried chicken, but it would be good with uncooked chicken breasts, as well. I wonder about using Splenda instead of the sugar? Someone try it and let me know how it goes!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover