Thursday, June 18, 2009

Brownies

Posted by Kimberly:

This brownie recipe was the first thing I ever made all by myself. I was in grade school. I didn't need any help and homemade brownies were a favorite around our house. Growing up we never ate boxed brownies, they were always homemade.

All of my hard work, excitement, and anticipation of tasting my own homemade brownies was squelched when we all tasted the first one. Instead of putting six tablespoons of cocoa, I had only put six teaspoons! Since that first time of baking them, and after making them for so many years, I've gotten the recipe down without any mistakes. My kids love helping me make these and licking the bowl.

BROWNIES


1 cup butter-flavored shortening, melted
6 T. cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 and 1/2 cup sifted flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. pecans (optional)

Mix cocoa and sugar. Add melted shortening. Next, add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix until well blended. (I leave out the salt.) You can either stir them by hand or use a mixer. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20 minutes. (We like them gooey. You may prefer them cooked longer.).

These brownies come out with a crust on top. People often ask how they come out with a crust. Who knows? But, it's sure good!

P.S. This brownie batter is especially good, too! In fact, when I was in junior high or high school and wanted some chocolate, I would mix these up and eat some of the batter. It’s a wonder any made it to the pan!

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Have you ever tried substituting egg whites or anything to modify it? I am always trying to cut the fat!

 
Pin It button on image hover