Monday, June 29, 2009

Baked Carrots

Posted by Donna

This recipe is always a side dish when I serve roast. I'm really not sure why or when I started doing my carrots this way; but, it's a favorite in our family. About a year ago, my brother was visiting and I had fixed a roast for Sunday dinner; and of course, I had also fixed the carrots. He had never cared for carrots; but, he decided to try them. He really didn't comment on them at the time. However, a few weeks later, he e-mailed me and wanted the recipe. He said he had been hungry for them. He and my sister-in-law even took them to a Thanksgiving dinner at her parent's home.

Baked Carrots

2 bags of carrots, peeled and sliced ( I usually cut mine in half, then cut the halves horizontally) Of course, the number of carrots you use will depend on how many you're serving. Two bags will usually serve 8 - 10 people.

Spray your casserole dish with non-stick spray. Lay your sliced carrots in the baking dish. Put dollops of margarine all over the carrots. Next, sprinkle very lightly with brown sugar, followed by a small amount of onion powder.

Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. The carrots will usually brown on the bottom when baked this long. I usually put them in at 9:15 on Sunday mornings, right before I leave for Bible Class. By the time we get home, they've baked about the full 2 1/2 hours. I baked them this weekend, and we were gone for three hours. I was so worried; but, I must say, they were some of the best I'd ever fixed---just because of the browning on the bottom. 2 1/2 hours are the ideal time. I may have just been lucky that one time when they cooked longer.

You can prepare these for baking the night before and stick them in the refrigerator. I've never enjoyed peeling carrots; so, I usually peel them the night before even if I don't go ahead and get them completely ready for baking.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover