Thursday, July 19, 2012

Stacked Enchiladas

Posted by Lori:
(First posted on July 2009)

This recipe has been in the Coke family for many years. It came from my aunt and uncle who live in New Mexico. (Note: The original recipe also has a can of tomato sauce, but my own immediate family prefers it with the enchilada sauce only. It's just a stronger flavor.) My uncle would talk about how many in New Mexico eat this meal with a fried egg on top. I don't think I could do that, but you might like it!

This is a fun meal because everyone gets to make their own plate the way they want to. When I last made it a few weeks ago, I told my family we were having a "Stacked Enchilada Contest". Whoever made the "prettiest" stack would win. The prize was a picture of their stack to be shown in a future blog post. This is my husband's plate. He won! Isn't it a pretty stacked enchilada???? (ha! ha!)

STACKED ENCHILADAS - serves 4

1 lb. ground beef
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 - 19 oz. can enchilada sauce
1 can Ranch Style beans
Cheddar Cheese

Choose your desired toppings:
Lettuce, shredded or torn into small pieces
Tomatoes, chopped
Onions, chopped
Olives
Sour Cream
Guacamole
Salsa

8-12 corn tortillas
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying

Brown hamburger in medium-sized skillet, seasoning with onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Drain grease. In same skillet, add enchilada sauce and heat thouroughly. Keep warm. Heat Ranch Style Beans and keep warm until ready to serve. In small frying pan, heat vegetable oil on high heat. Using tongs, quickly dip corn tortillas into hot oil to soften them, turning to coat both sides. (You may prefer to wrap them in damp paper towels and microwave them.) Drain on paper towels, pressing down on them to remove all excess oil. Keep warm until serving (wrap in foil and place in warm oven.)

To prepare stacked enchiladas, place one tortilla on plate. Top with meat mixture, beans, and cheese. Repeat layers of tortillas, meat mixture, beans, and cheese as desired. Top with your choice of toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, onion, olives, sour cream, guacamole, and/or salsa. And, if you're interested - even a fried egg!

I recently made a chicken mixture and used it for stacked enchiladas, instead of beef. It was a creamy sauce, but I can't remember what I did! That's the good thing about this blog...it's making me write down what I do so I can remember it and pass it along to you. If I try it again some time, I'll write it down and let you know. Ole'!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover